UPLOADED ON 01.10.2013

 HOME

Back To DISTRICTS MENU

District Map General Information of the District District Court Details

PURBA (EAST) MEDINIPUR

DISTRICT MAP

 

DISTRICT INFORMATION

1.    Name of the District:                 PURBA MEDINIPUR

2.    Names of sub-divisions including Sadar:  * Tamluk (Sadar)

                                                                                * Contai

                                                                                * Haldia

                                                                                * Egra

3.    Area in Sq. KM of the district as a whole and its different sub-divisions:  Total Area - 4161.42 Sq. KM

4.    Population (total as well as Sub-Divisions):     Total Population - 44,17,377

5.    Literacy rate of males & females (total as well as sub-division-wise):

                Total Literacy Rate - 3540928 (79.87%)

                Male - 2021970 (89.25%)

                Female - 1518958 (70.50%)

Male

Female

Tamluk (Sadar)

711060 (88%)

527989 (69%)

Contai

560508 (91%)

427893 (73%)

Haldia

374062 (89%)

286442 (72%)

Egra

376340 (73%)

276634 (68%)

 

6.    Police Stations (total as well as sub-division-wise ):  Total Police Stations - 21

                    Tamluk Sub-division(Sadar)6

                    Contai Sub-division - 5

                    Haldia – 6

                Egra Sub-division - 4

 

7.    HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

        HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF TAMLUK

Tamluk is the district headquarters of Purba Medinipur district of West Bengal, India. Though there is some controversy, scholars have generally agreed that present day Tamluk is the site of the ancient city variously known as Tamralipta or Tamralipti. The present town is located on the banks of the Rupnarayan River close to the Bay of Bengal.

Tamralipta or Tamralipti was the name of an ancient city on the Bay of Bengal corresponding with Tamluk in modern-day India. Tamralipta may have been one of the most important urban centres of trade and commerce of early historic India, trading along the Silk Road with China, by Uttarapatha, the northern high road, the main trade route into the Middle East and Europe; and by seafaring routes to Bali, Java and other areas of the Far East.

Background

Tamralipta's strategic location as a sea port on the Bay of Bengal and at the crossroads of various trade routes to East Asia and South-East Asia like Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Java, Sumatra made it an important site for ancient commerce.

In addition to the long northwestern land route to Central Asia, China and Europe, the cities in the Ganges valley had river outlets to the east through the ports of Tamralipta and others. The famous Silk Road was offered attractive trading possibilities with Tamralipta in its early dates. From the ports in Bengal a seafaring route covered Bali, Java and the Far East.

Tamralipti's ancient settlement is mentioned in early Indian literature, in Ceylonese texts, and in accounts of Greek geographers and Chinese pilgrims. These texts indicate that Tamralipti was located on the eastern coast near the confluence of the Bay of Bengal and River Ganges. They also indicate that Tamralipti was connected with trade routes and frequented by traders, travellers and pilgrims. From the texts, the chronology of this settlement will be roughly between fourth-third century BC to eighth century AD. The Dudhpani rock inscription of Udaymana, of the eighth century AD, contains the last record of Tamralipti as a port of ancient South Asia. In the map of the Greek geographer Ptolemy, Tamralipti appears as Tamalities. Chinese pilgrim Hiuen Tsang (Xuanzang) calls the town Tan-mo-lih-ti (te). Other texts show the name as Tâmalitti (Tâmalitthi).

These textual references have led scholars to identify Tamralipti as one of the most important centres of trade and commerce of early historic India. It has also led to the belief that Tamralipti had emerged as a thriving urban settlement in this period and had multidirectional links with different geographical regions of South Asia.

Archaeological Excavations in Tamluk

Tamluk has been subjected to archaeological excavation at least twice and has been explored frequently. Gourdas Bysack, a friend of the renowned Bengali poet Michael Madhusudan Dutt, was the first person to write on the antiquarian remains of Tamralipta in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. He published a note on his findings in the Jan-Dec 1888 issue of Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal (Calcutta, 1889). Around the same time Umacharan Adhikari, a leading personality of Tamluk, wrote an account of the antiquity of the town in a book.

In 1920-21 the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) also produced a short report on Tamralipta. Gurusaday Dutt, I.C.S was the first to carry out archaeological diggings. Subsequently, T. N. Ramachandran, and K. N. Dikshit also carried out archaeological diggings in 1940. Among the antiquities recovered through excavation were terracotta objects, pottery and coins. Some of these antiquities belong to the third century BC. ASI undertook the next excavation in 1954-55 under the supervision of M. N. Deshpande. As a result, a fourfold cultural sequence was established. However, no structures could be unearthed in the excavation; only rammed floor levels and ring wells were encountered.

ASI undertook further excavation of the site in 1973-74 under the supervision of S. K. Mukherjee. This excavation revealed four successive occupational periods, the first of which (Period I) yielded an assemblage of Neolithic celts, ill-fired pottery, a large number of microlithic tools, bone awls and a small number of copper objects. Period II, dated to third-second century BC, yielded a few fragments of NBPW, a good number of beads of semi-precious stones, and a large number of punch marked and cast copper coins. One may link this period to the so-called Maurya-Shunga times. Evidence of a brick built tank and a few terracotta ring wells were also exposed. Period III, belonging to the Shunga-Kusana phase seems to have been the richest one and have yielded ceramics, and a very large collection of terracotta figurines, some with a definite Hellenistic affiliation. The assemblage indicates a sophisticated urban life where citizens indulged in art. Period IV stratigraphically represents the so-called Gupta period. The yield of antiquities from this occupational level has not been impressive, certainly they do not match the evidence furnished by Chinese pilgrims.

Between 1954-55 and 1973–74, explorations by individual scholars brought to light rich antiquities from different regions in and around Tamluk. Professor P. C. Dasgupta was a pioneer researcher in this field. He recovered beautiful terracotta figurines from the site along with other important antiquities. After the 1973-74 season, the Tamralipta Research and Museum Centre has carried out independent research in the region. Explorations have brought to light early historic sites from the region.

The early historic period of Tamralipta is marked by the occurrence of pottery such as roulleted ware, grey ware, red ware, black polished ware and northern black polished ware. In addition to pottery, the site has also revealed terracotta objects of exceptional beauty. Terracotta figurines of yaksis, animals, and plaques depicting life of ordinary men and women are found in the collections of the Tamluk Museum. The famous figurine of Yaksi at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford was recovered from Tamluk. Although the question of chalcolithic origin has not been properly resolved, the occurrence of Black and Red ware along with numerous bone objects like harpoons have made the issue problematic.

Origin of the name Tamralipta

According to some scholars[who?], Tamralipta derives its name from the individual Sanskrit words, Tamra and Lipta, together meaning "full of copper".

Tamralipta, lower down the river Hooghly and sea port, had been an important waterway for more than 3000 years. It gets its name from the copper which was mined, as it is even now, at Ghatsila, Jharkhand, Orissa areas which are not far from the city. Copper had been eclipsed by iron around 100 B.C., so the name must have originated during the Copper Age, when Tamralipti exported the ore and metal to peninsular India; the alternative was the less accessible Rajasthan area. The longer, original name of the port was in use till the third century B.C., when Ashoka's daughter and son sailed from it for Sri Lanka.

According to local folklore the name Tamralipta came from the King Tamradhwaja (which means The King with Copper Flag/symbol) of the Mayura-Dhwaja (Peacock) dynasty. If you[who?] go according to Mahabharat's description the ruling period of the King Tamradhwaja is nearer to the end of the Copper Age. Probably this ancient king had a huge base of copper, and the metal brought prosperity to the region at his time. Thus both of the names – Tamralipta and Raja Tamradhawja – might have been originated from it.

Some early Vaisnav religious texts tell a story about the origin of the name of Tamralipta. Once, when Lord Krishna was playing Maharaas in Vraj at Vrindavan Surya (Sun God) Dev rose from the east and accidentally saw Lord Krishna in intimate situation with his Gopis and Sri Radhika. Immediately Surya Dev had felt ashamed, became embarrassed and blushed a reddish copper colour like Tamra. And then Surya Dev again returned to the same corner of the east coast of Bharata and did hide (Lipta) himself in the Bay of Bengal. Where Surya Dev went back and hid himself is the place called Tamralipti.

History of Tamralipta

This ancient port city and kingdom was bounded by the Bay of Bengal in the south, river Rupnarayana in the east and Subarnarekha River in the west. The Rupnarayana is the joint flow of the river Dwarkeshwar and the river Shilai. The Bay of Bengal and these great rivers and their numerous branches created a prosperous and easy water navigational system fostering commerce, culture and early contacts with the people outside the region. At the same time, these rivers helped to develop the agriculture in this region.

History tells us that the rivers have been central to urban settlement and development in the subcontinent from the ancient period. The Indus and the Ganges were cradles of ancient civilization. Tamralipta was a civilisation based on Bay of Bengal and river Rupnarayana. And the most important natural resource of this area was water from the rivers and sea.

Archaeological remains show continuous settlement from about 3rd century BC. It was known as Tramralipti (in the Purans and the Mahabharata) or Tamralipta (in Mahabharata) or Tamalika (in historical documents) or Tamalitti (in foreigners' descriptions) or Tamoluk (in the British Raj). It was a seaport, now buried under river silt. For this reason, Tamluk has many ponds and lakes remaining today.

In the Mahabharata (Bhishma Parba/Nabam Adhyay) while describing the names of the holiest rivers and kingdoms of India, Sanjay took the name of "Tramralipta" to Dhritarastra.

Tamralipta was also known as Bhivas (in religious texts) and Madhya Desh (as the Middle State of Utkal/Kalinga and Banga).

According to Jain sources, Tamralipti was the capital of the kingdom of Vanga and was long known as a port.

 

History of Contai or Kanthi

Some suggestions about the name

In the 15th century, during the visit of Fa-Hien, Contai was uninhabited and had no name for the outside world. In Valentine’s travelogue, a harbour, KENDUA by name, was mentioned. This harbour was on the bank of the river, a short distance from the Rasulpur estuary. Later the harbour was shifted to the present site of the Contai Town.However, it is said, the name of the abandoned port was retained for its new location, In foreigners tongue, Kendua is said to have changed first to Cauntee and finally to Contai, whereas in local tongue it has changed to Kanthi (kËnө׀).

But linguists raise serious doubts about such change of pronunciation. They offer other suggestions.Mr.Yogesh Chandra Sarkar thinks that the name Kanthi owes its origin to outstretched sand-dune, about 27 miles from Rasulpur estuary to Peeplipattan, that from the sea looked like a long wall or Kanth (kËnč) as it is called by local people.
Some suggest that the name may originate from the custom of local people to build long walls or Kanths around their habitation in order to keep off wild beasts like buffaloes, tigers and rhinoceroses that were found in abundance then and these Kanths gave the place its name.

Yet, some people, conversant with the local history, give another explanation. They say on the sand dunes lived Saints and Fakirs or witch doctors to whom afflicted people often came for cure and who asked them affectionately in somewhat Hindi, "Kanha thee?" meaning to say ,’where are you from? Gradually the cure-seeking people coming from distant places came to identify this unnamed place by those two words "Kanha thee", and in course of time the words merged into one to give the virgin or Ahalya land a name.

 

Old Contai Sub-Division

Some Fond Memories Connected with it and Reorganization.
In 1852 the then East India Company Government announced Contai as a Sub-Division consisting of six police stations-Contai, Khejuri, Ramnagar, Bhagwanpur, Egra and Potaspur. But the Government continued working from Negua which was the earlier name of todays Egra ("Agrapattan"). The Sub-Division that covered 912 sq. miles was the second largest in Bengal .
In 1863 when Nimak Mahal (the salt factory and business center) at Contai, in the teeth of a serious crisis, ceased functioning, the Sub-Divisional office was shifted from Negua to the abandoned Nimak Mahal building.
Bankim Chandra Chottopadhyay, the precursor of Bengali novel,worked as the Deputy Magistrate of Contai, though for a short period, from January 1860 to November of the year. From Negua, where his headquarte was then, he went to Dariapur, a village near the Rasulpur estuary in order to investigate a robbery case. He was bewitched by the beauty of the beach –sand dunes covered by woodland against the background of the wide river and the sea. He stored it in his memory and incorporated the scenery in his romantic novel Kapal Kundala.
Bankim’s father, Jadav Chandra Chattopadhayay,while serving as the Deputy Collecter of Midnapur District, has travelled to Majnamutha, Narduamutha and Seepur, all in Contai Asub-Division, on land-settlement business .He stayed here from 1838 to 1839 and rendered good service to a good number of people so as to earn the pet name Jadav –Deputy.
Dwijendralal Roy, the composer of patriotic dramas and songs, also came here as the settlement officer of of Burdwan. He stayed for three years,from 1890 to 1893. During his stay at Sujamutha, he protested against the unlawful increase of land-revenue and thereby incurred wrath of Lieutenant Charles Eliot and as a result got his increment frozen.
In 2002, Medinipur District was divided into two districts–Purba Medinipur and Paschim Medinipur for the sake of administrative efficiency and expediency. Purba Medinipur consists of four Sub-Divisions –Tamluk, Contai, Egra and Haldia. Eight blocks of Ramnagar, Digha, Kanthi (Contai) Khejuri and Bhupatinagar remained in Contai Sub-Division while the newly formed Sub-Division of Egra consisted of five Blocks of Bhagawanpur, Pataspur and Egra police station

People, Culture, Language

Some time between the third and the fourth century B.C., the Contai-Hijli region raised its head above the sea –level in the shape of a few islands separated from one another by some streams or their branches. By the vagaries of nature, some of these streams in course of time lost their courses linking the islands with strips of low- land and giving emergence to Maljhita Mahal.
In the early part of its history, from 1435 to 1470 A.D, this Mahal or region consisting of Digha, Ramnagar, Kanthi, Khejuri, Bhagawanpur and a part of Egra belonged the Orissa kingdom under the name of Maljhita Dandapat.Afterwards the region frequently changed hands and came under the rule of Hindu, Pathan, Mughal and British rulers lending diversity to the religion and culture of the people of this area.
The aborigines of the area with longish skull, blunt nose, dark complexion and medium height belonged the Austric races like Santal, Bhumij, Murmu etc.who can hardly be traced distinctly anywhere in the area today. Side by side with this class of people, the existence of Dravidian race of the Decaan in this area is also marked. Fair complexioned, large- faced, sharp-nosed, fairly tall people of Alpine or Indo-European origin were also found here in the later years. Not only that, that the people of the region came into some kind of relation with the people of Mediterranean lands is also evident from the relics like the image of the Sun-god of the 7th century discovered in the region. The idol is found wearing European dress and ornaments.
Thus the people of the area is a highly amalgamated race assimilating the features of many races, native and foreign, Indiand and non – Indian, regarding religion, the people came under the influence of Vedic, Jainism, Buddhism, Shaivaism, Vaisnabism and even Islam.
The language or dialect used by the local people bears ample witness to this amalgamation, for instance, the use of Aryan suffixes in naming the villages and titles of people gives evidence of mutually honorable co-existence of the Aryan and non Aryan trips for long.
Generally all the people may be said to fall in two broad categories – the Hindus and the non –Hindus, The term Hindu is almost all – embracing in India, leaving only perhaps the Muslims and the Christians out of its fold. And of the Hindus from Brahimins, who belong to the highest place of the hierarchy down to those, who belong to the lowest, every variety is found in the region. A Wide range of titles that people bear with their names suggests, directly or indirectly, their one-time profession or the field of activity in which they once excelled. But, as at present there is little relation between the title one bears and the profession one follows and casteism is on its last leg, the matter has become of little importance.
The non –Hindus who came to the region from outside were mainly the Muslims and the Christians. They came on different purposes. Some came as invaders chanting martial songs; some came as mercenary soldiers hired by the local lords in order to protect their kingdom or to train their native army; some of them came on commercial purposes; there were some others who were merely fortune seekers.However,most of the forefathers of the non Hindus of the area were in fact converts who courted Islamic or Christian religion after being outcaste for any reason or being tired of the rigorous rules of the Hindu society or being attracted by the apparent simplicity and classless fraternity in these religions or to find favour with the rulers.Whatever reason may prompt the foreigners to come here, they, like the Lotus-eaters of the Odyssey,could never leave the land and their successors were gradually absorbed by the great motley society.

Thus out of numerous races ,racial cultutes and attributes,came to be a people who developed some regionally distinative characteristics,who developed a fighting-sprit to survive in the teeth of monstrous adversities,sometimes in form of political turmoil,sometimes in form of natural calamities

Digha (Birkul)

Location – Digha –30 km.south – west of Kanthi (Contai) and 164 km.from Medinipur, and 185 km south-west from Kolkata.

A short history of Birkul
Birkul discovered by Warren Hastings accidentally. It’s 7 kms beach, dotted with casuarina groves, is said to be one of the widest beaches in the world. In the past, the place named Beercool or Birkul or Noricool was nearer to the sea than Digha. It belonged to Chakla Jaleswar in Orissa, but subsequently the place was attached to Hijli Division. By 1785, the place had earned the title "The Brighton of Calcutta". A few bunglows were built and ,to the Europeans, tired of the unaccustomed hot weather of Calcutta,it become a good summer –resort.In a letter to his wife,Waren Hastings referred to Beercool,adjacent to Digha,in these words-"Beercool was the sanatorium-the Brighton of Calcutta".

Digha
The advancing sea swallowed up the Birkul village in course of time .In 1823 there was found only one bunglow that had been built by Hastings.Then there came "The Livingstone of Digha".Sometime in the 19th century ,a group of Englishman –Mr. Greenfield,Mr. J.Jinkings,Mr.J.F.Sneith,Mr.Reeve Beechcroft- and a reporter of " The Englishman"came to the sea side in a car in search of Beercool.But they found neither Beercool nor the bunglows built in Hastings’s time.Insteed,they found Digha and only one brick-built building.It was the building of the Irrigation department which was to oversee the building of dykes along the coast and their maintenance.The building had perhaps been built in 1848.

 

8.    The Distance of any of its sub-divisions from Kolkata and mode of transport / communication from Kolkata:

 

Goto Top

DISTRICT COURT INFORMATION

9.    Number of Courts (total as well as Sub-divisions-wise):

35 plus proposed 1 family court.

10. Names of the Judicial Officers and their respective dates of posting :

 

Sl. No. Name of the Officers Designation Date of Joining Contact Numbers
TAMLUK (Sadar & Sub-Divn.)
1 Smt. Madhumita Mitra District & Sessions Judge, NDPS 11-10-2012

Office: 03228-268728

Resi.:   03228-268750

Fax.:    03228-268728

             03228-266076

2 Vacant Additional District & Sessions Judge, 1st Court, NDPS    
3 Shri Subhasis Ghosh Additional District & Sessions Judge, 2nd Court 12-12-2012  
4 Vacant Additional District & Sessions Judge, 3rd Court    
5 Shri Chinmoy Chattopadhyay Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 1st Court 14-11-2011  
6 Smt. Kumkum SinghaI Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 2nd Court 01-04-2013  
7 Shri Sudip Bhattacharyya Chief Judicial Magistrate 31-08-2012  
8 Shri Ramendra Nath Makhal Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.) 16-01-2012  
9 Smt. Rimpa Roy Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), 2nd Court    
10 Smt.Suparna Roy - II Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 1st Court    
11 Shri Binoy Kumar Nonia Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 2nd Court 02-05-2012  
12 Smt. Sriparna Routh Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 3rd Court    
13

Shri Soumyajit Bhattacharyya

Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), Additional Court    
14 Smt. Sharmistha Ghosh Judicial Magistrate, 1st Court 07-01-2012  
15 Smt. Ishani Chakraborty Judicial Magistrate, 2nd Court    

16

Shri Suman Kumar Ghosh Judicial Magistrate, 3rd Court 20-06-2011  
Sl. No. Name of the Officers Designation Date of Joining Contact Numbers

CONTAI (Sub-Divn.)

17

Shri Manoj Kumar Sharma Additional District & Sessions Judge

22-03-2012

 
18

Shri Pradip Banerjee

(FTC Officer on Adhoc Basis)

Additional District & Sessions Judge, 2nd Court    
19

Shri D.N. Mitra

Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 1st Court 02-04-2013  
20

Shri Utpal Mishra

Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 2nd Court 01-04-2013  
21

Smt. Rina Sawoo

Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), 1st Court

09-01-2012

 
22

Shri Sumit Adhikari

Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), 2nd Court 23-12-2011  
23 Smt. Kumkum Chattopadhyay Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate 28-12-2011  
24 Shri Dipanjan Sen Judicial Magistrate, 1st Court 17-06-2011  
25 Vacant Judicial Magistrate, 2nd Court    
26 Shri Durga Sankar Rana Judicial Magistrate, 3rd Court 02-05-2012  
27

Shri Indrajit Deb

Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 1st Court

   

28

Khaleda Mannan

Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 2nd Court

23-12-2011

 
29 Smt. Kanika Roy Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 1st Additional Court    
30 Mr. Arif Ahmed Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 2nd Additional Court

23-11-2012

 
HALDIA (Sub-Divn.)
31

Shri Somnath Chakraborty

(FTC Officer on Adhoc basis)

Additional District & Sessions Judge    
32 Smt. Sonali Nandy Chakraborty Additional District & Sessions Judge, FTC 09-11-2011  
33 Shri Dev Kumar Sukul Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate 05-09-2012  
34 Shri Swarup Kumar Chakraborty Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), Haldia    
35 Smt. Sarmistha Dutta Roy Judicial Magistrate, Haldia 06-03-2013  

 

 

11. Particulars about the court building (sub-division wise):

 

Sub-division Particulars of court building
Tamluk (Sadar & Sub-Divn.)

District Court is functioning in old Sub-Divisional Court Building, Construction of New Building has been proposed, after acceptance of the drawing of the new Court Building, cost estimate has been submitted before the authority after counter-signature of the District Judge.

Haldia Sub-Division) Court has own new building which was inaugurated on 01.03.2003
Contai Sub-Division) Court is functioning in both old and new building. New Court Building was inaugurated on 07.01.2005
Egra Sub-Division No Court Building has been constructed, as no land is acquired till date.

 

 

12. Names of different Offices of the Court housed in that court building (sub-division wise):

 

Sub-division Details of Offices

Tamluk (Sadar & Sub-Divn.)

  1. Vernacular Department

  2. Accounts Department

  3. Civil Copying Department

  4. Criminal Copying Department

  5. Chief Judicial Magistrate Office

  6. Steno Corner (Criminal)

  7. Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.) Office

  8. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 1st Court Office

  9. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 2nd Court Office

  10. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 3rd Court Office

  11. Nezarath Department

  12. English Department

  13. Judicial Department

  14. Steno Corner (Civil)

  15. District Librarian Department

Contai (Sub-Division)

  1. Nezarath Department

  2. Accounts Department

  3. Civil Copying Department

  4. Criminal Copying Department

  5. Steno Corner (Civil & Criminal) Deaprtment

  6. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 1st Court

  7. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 2nd Court

  8. Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.) Office

  9. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 1st Additional Court Office

  10. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) 2nd Additional Court Office

  11. Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Office

  12. Judicial Cashier

Haldia (Sub-Division)

  1. Nezarath Department

  2. Accounts Department

  3. Civil Copying Department

  4. Criminal Copying Department

  5. Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Office

  6. Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.) Office

  7. Steno Corner

Egra Sub-Division

NIL

 

 

13. Particulars about accommodation for the Judicial Officers in a particular station (sub-division wise):

 

Sub-division Accommodation Detials

Tamluk (Sadar & Sub-Divn.)

Total No. of Residential Quarters of the Officers (Tamluk Sub-Division) are 3+4=7 at present; and rest 9 Judicial Officers are residing in Private Rented House.

Contai (Sub-Division)

Total number of Residential Quarters of the Officers are 7+2-9 at present; and rest 5 Judicial Officers are residing in Private Rented House.

Haldia (Sub-Division)

There are no residential Judicial Quarters. All Judicial Officer are living in private accommodation let out by H.D.A.

Egra Sub-Division

No residential quarters have been constructed. Approved

 

 

14. Sanctioned strength and number of vacant posts of different categories of staff :

 

Sl. No. Name of Post Number of Posts
Sanctioned Strength Working Strength Vacancy Positions

1

Stenographer (Group-'B')

34 30 4
2

L.D.C. (Group-'C')

141 116 25
3

Typist-Copyist

23 16 8
4

Process Server

23 12 11
5 Peon / Night Guard / Farash / Sweeper (Group - 'D') 102 71 31

 

 

15. Pendency of cases :

 

Sl. No. Courts Total Number of Cases pending as on 30.11.2013  

Total Number of Cases disposed of as on 30.11.2013

 

TAMLUK (Sadar & Sub-Divn.)  
Pendency of cases both Civil and Criminal  
1 District & Sessions  Judge 4462 746
2 Additional District & Sessions Judge, 1st Court 2508 -
3 Additional District & Sessions Judge, 2nd Court 838 6
4 Additional District & Sessions Judge, 3rd Court 158 1
5 Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 1st Court 346 13
6 Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 2nd Court 332 15
7 Additional District & Sessions Judge, 3rd Court 158 1
8 Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.) 1st Court 2617 24
9 Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.) 2nd Court 227 5
Criminal Cases  
10 Chief Judicial Magistrate 1427 225
G. R. File 9805 89
N. G. R. File 8289 1519
11 Judicial Magistrate, 1st Court 3568 195
12 Judicial Magistrate, 2nd Court 3791 107
13 Judicial Magistrate, 3rd Court 2755 91
Civil Cases  
14 Civil Judge (Jr. Div.) 1st Court 903 3
15 Civil Judge (Jr. Div.) 2nd Court 481 7
16 Civil Judge (Jr. Div.) 3rd Court 790 9

17

Civil Judge (Jr. Div.) Addl. Court

258 2
CONTAI (Sub-Divn.)  
Sl. No. Courts Total Number of Cases pending as on 30.11.2013 Total Number of Cases disposed of as on 30.11.2013
Pendency of cases both Civil and Criminal  

1

Additional District & Sessions Judge 1st Court

2655

66
  Additional District & Sessions Judge 2nd Court

376

9
2 Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 1st Court

288

3
3 Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 2nd Court

334

7
4 Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), 1st Court

2570

26

5 Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), 2nd Court 813 9
Criminal Cases  
6 Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate 2005 169
G. R. File 7268 14
N. G. R. File 13391 504
7 Judicial Magistrate, 1st Court 3930 35
8 Judicial Magistrate, 2nd Court 3963 70
9 Judicial Magistrate, 3rd Court 3205 207
Civil Cases  
10

Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 1st Court

3204

14

11

Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 2nd Court

2224

14
12 Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 1st Additional Court 848 4
13 Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), 2nd Additional Court 251 2
HALDIA (Sub-Divn.)  
Sl. No. Courts Total Number of Cases pending as on 30.11.2013 Total Number of Cases disposed of as on 30.11.2013
Pendency of cases both Civil and Criminal  
1 Additional District & Sessions Judge 139 11
2 Additional District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 58 8
Criminal Cases  
3 Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate 3435 372
G. R. File 7172 163
N. G. R. File 210 855
4 Judicial Magistrate 3484 72
Civil Cases  
5 Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), Haldia 3251 29

 

 

16. Particulars about District Legal Services Authority and Sub-Divisional Legal Services Committees:

 

Sl. No. Name of the Legal Service Authority / Committee Location Functioning
1 District Legal Services Authority, Purba Medinipur At Tamluk Court premises, P.O. + P.S. - Tamluk, Dist. Purba Medinipur 1. Shri Shyamal Gupta, District Judge, Purba Medinipur as Chairman.

2. Shri Ramendra Nath Makhal, Civil Judge (Sr. Divn.), Tamluk as Secretary

2 Sub-Divisional Legal Services Committee, Contai At Contai Court premises, P.O. + P.S. - Contai, Purba Medinipur 1. Shri Manoj Kumar Sharma, Addl. District & Sessions Judge, Contai as Chairman.

2. Shri Adhir Ch. Pal, Stenographer, Addl. District & Sessions Judge, Contai as Secretary

3 Sub-Divisional Legal Services Committee, Haldia At Haldia Court premises, P.O. Debhog, P.S. - Bhabanipur, Dist. Purba Medinipur 1. Shri Somnath Chakraborty, Addl. District & Sessions Judge, Fast Track 2nd Court, Haldia as Chairman.

2. Shri Prasanta Goswami, Sheristadar, Civil Judge (Jr. Divn.), Haldia as Secretary.

Goto Top