"The Calcutta High Court is the oldest High Court in
India. It was established on 1st July, 1862 under the
High Court’s Act, 1861. It has jurisdiction over the
state of West Bengal and the Union Territory of the
Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The High Court building was
designed by Mr. Walter Granville, Government Architect,
on the model of the ‘Stadt-Haus’ or Cloth Hall at Ypres
The seat of the High Court is Kolkata, capital of West
Bengal. It also has a permanent Circuit Bench in Port
Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The court has a sanctioned judge strength of 58."